There are many different opinions about how many security cameras you need for your home. Some people think having one that appears to be working is enough to prevent an intruder, which may be true, but it will be no help if they figure out it doesn’t work. The number of home security cameras and where you need to place them on what you need to protect and the reason you are using them.
Recommended places for security cameras are:
- The front door
- The porch or doorstep
- The back door
- The back garden or yard
- The living room
- The eating area or the kitchen
- The garage
- The basement
- Emergency exits
- Close to high interest assets
It is not essential to install security cameras in every one of these areas, but choose the ones that are important to you and will allow you to have full view of your home.
Consider installing cameras for reasons like:
- Deterring Intruders: Protect your home from burglary and break-ins. Determine what needs protecting in your home and place cameras there. Don’t skip out on the exterior of your home either.
- Evidence: If someone does break into your home, a video surveillance system lets you see exactly what happened. A good recording can also help police catch the intruder and possibly retrieve what was stolen. Make sure you have high quality cameras to best identify any trespassers.
- Live streaming: You can view the live feed from your home security app on your phone. Use it to keep an eye on your family and stay in touch with them throughout the day.
- Alerts: Most security companies have a way to alert you if your security cameras detect movement where there shouldn’t be.
Make sure you’re purchasing enough cameras for what you need and that they are positioned to best spot intruders and keep an eye on the things most valuable to you. Contact a BSG expert to learn more 855-MYSMARTHOME.