Summer and pools go hand in hand. On hot days, people enjoy swimming in a cool pool whether it’s in their backyard or in the local community. While swimming and playing in the pool can make for a fun summer activity, it’s also important to stay safe while doing so. Follow these 9 pool safety tips for a fun and safe summer.
- Never leave a child unattended in or around the pool or hot tub.
- If there are inexperienced swimmers in the pool with you, encourage them to use a life jacket or other flotation device.
- Sign your children up for swim lessons. This will make swimming in the pool safer and more fun.
- Instruct children to stay away from drains in the pool or hot tub.
- Ensure pools you visit, whether in your backyard or in the community, have compliant drain covers.
- If you have a backyard swimming pool, install a fence around it and make sure you are compliant with local ordinances or laws. Make sure you use a cover for your hot tub or spa and install a door contact on the pool gate to be notified every time it is opened.
- As a pool owner or pool-goer, you should learn CPR. It is a valuable, life-saving skill that you should know.
- Maintain your pool or hot tub by keeping the water clean and clear. Ensure the pools chemical levels, circulation, and filtration are properly maintained.
- Establish rules for your pool. Enforcing safe behaviors such as no diving, never swimming alone, and walking, not running, around the pool can help significantly.
Contact a BSG Expert today to learn more 855-MYSMARTHOME